(Not Actually) Gluten Free Berry Crisp

As I type this, there is a 4th rendition of this recipe in the oven. I originally found it in an attempt to make a gluten free dessert for company. Although it was delicious and I used GF flour, I failed because I thought rolled oats were inherently GF, and they’re not. In order to be gluten free, (if I’m correctly remembering what our company said) the oats need to be certified not to have been grown where wheat/etc. was grown for at least 3 years and processed where wheat/etc. are not processed. Luckily, he was happy to have vanilla ice cream instead.

Each time I’ve made this, I’ve (of course) tweaked it some. The best tweak has been to use 4 cups of berries vs 3. How can more berries NOT be better!?! I’ve used blueberries and black raspberries every time, but different ratios. I think I like it best with about 3 cups of blueberries and 1 cup of black raspberries. This picture is from the first time I made it and it’s about a 50/50 mix.

I followed the rest of the recipe pretty exact. Maybe it’s so good because of the 1/2 cup of butter?

One of the things I like about this recipe is that it has you put half of the “crisp” on the bottom and then bake just the bottom for 5 minutes. It’s pretty fun to have the berries surrounded by crisp.

The version in the oven right now is almost all black raspberries. We used 10 cups of blueberries to make some possibly burnt jam (more on that later), so we’ll see how the mostly black raspberry crisp comes out.

Appreciating Our Homestead

I love our house/property, and I have since we moved here more than 10 years ago. In the last year or two though, I am trying to more purposefully take time to observe and notice. I am using the day-to-day beauty of the flowers and the veggies and the fruits, and the hard work that goes along with it, to help me with missing the kiddos every day. It seems to help me stay (at least slightly more) centered.

The blog and my newer enjoyment of taking pictures also helps. So, while I’m waiting for us to make more progress on the pergola, I thought I’d share a few flowers with you.

The bee balm was beautiful again this year, though it gets a powdery mildew pretty quickly.

And the echinacea did really well.

Daylilies with larkspur and bee balm make a pretty color palette.

Of course, having Fargo The Terrible around helps (most of the time).

Veggie garden, blueberry and pergola updates coming soon!

Pergola Part II

This is such a huge project, that I think it will require a three-part series. I started assembly in the garage. I asked hubby to look things over before I put pieces together and then I did my best to get things moving.

I began on my own because the neighbors had some trees cut down and were nice enough to offer us the wood. When you heat with wood, you need to be thinking about the cold, even when you are sweating your a$$ off in the summer.

I only made it through step 4. The next one required the big posts, so had to wait for the hubster to be available. After a few hot, sweaty and tiring days, the main structure is up.

This was the first big project in a while that we were able to work on together. I really enjoyed it (95% of the time 😉 ). I did mess up a bit, but luckily hubby can cover for me. I pushed out of my comfort zone and really worked hard on something that I would have previously thought of as “his project.”

It’s not throwing much shade yet. We’re hoping to have some sort of climbing/trellising type of plant. We do have a shade for the side to block the setting sun, but may need to get something lightweight to cover the top for a while too.

There are quite a few more steps to go, but we already love it. It makes the back of the house more interesting, and somehow homier. Shoulda, coulda, woulda done this years ago.

 

Pergola Part I

As much as I love our house and our yard, one of the big issues we have, and never addressed, is that our patio is unusable much of the summer. The back of our house is bland and there is no cover. What there is, is direct sun all afternoon and evening. IT. IS. HOT!!!!! We’ve had a patio set with an umbrella for 20 years but even tilting the umbrella doesn’t help, it just throws the shade 5 feet away.

For a while, hubby was researching designs and lumber options and the plan was to create and build it on our own. Each year it didn’t get done and didn’t get done, and so on. In order to facilitate this actually happening, we did something unplanned and bought a pre-cut pergola that just needs to be put together.

Three very large boxes of pergola pieces have been in the garage for about 4 months now.

Hubby spent a good bit of time before building the new stecks (yes, that is the correct word), measuring to make certain they would allow room to enter/exit the pergola. If you look at the picture above, you will see there is a bench seat on one side and a high table across the other. We definitely wanted to be able to access the interior without having to go into the yard first.

Hubby had unloaded one of the boxes a few weeks ago, and now, I’ve finished unloading (and inventorying) the other two.

Now, let’s hope the putting it together (and the Pergola Part II post) happens soon!