As I mentioned in the previous post, I have a HUGE list of what I want to build/make. I really have no idea, now that I think about it, how “bed frame” rose to the top of the list. The bed frame we have is probably close to 20 years old, and it was not top of the line when we bought it. I think that I was looking through all of the online plans from my favorite woodworking bloggers and I loved so many of the bed frames.
I brought Tim into the decision process and we narrowed it down. Then, when I was looking at the Modern Farmhouse Bed on Ana White’s website, I saw there was a video about making this bed that went along with the plans. We enjoyed the video, and the extra Alaskan scenery she includes in each one and that helped with our decision.
We still have 2x6s, 16′ 2x6s, on the floor in the garage, so we didn’t need to buy of those. This is the original pile we took out of the garage to sort back in July.
Most of the 2x4s and some of the 2x6s went to the workbench, miter saw cart and lumber storage rack. But there are still plenty of 2x6s, and other assorted sizes and types in the garage, just waiting to be used in something awesome.
For the headboard, we opted to use tongue and groove vs plain 1x6s. We went with 1x4s for the slats vs 2x4s. This bed was going to be super heavy duty to begin with and we felt like 2x4s for the slats would be overkill.
After talking through the plans with the Tim, I did all of the cutting and the pocket hole drilling and some of the assembly myself. I greatly appreciated that he found projects in and around the garage to work on so that he was available any time that I needed him. Some of the pieces were just too heavy for me to maneuver and fasten by myself. Some of the wood was too hard for me to get the 2 1/2″ wood screws into (though I’m improving).
Wearing my Rosies overalls, which I love, with the ear protectors hanging on the string and the safety glasses. I am totally looking the part! I’m also super proud of how the headboard behind me is coming along.
I introduced Tim to the Kreg Jig and to pocket holes after I learned about them on the Shanty-2-Chic site. They have a great instructional video . I love drilling them and I think it’s such a cool way to join wood together. On our lumber cart, we had one whoops where the pocket holes ended up on the outside, but overall, it’s gone well.
Footboard and side rails.
I used a palm sander and I recently read about tack cloths, so I used those too. Helpful hint, wear rubber gloves with the tack cloth because the tack stuff does not want to wash off hands. I actually enjoyed the sanding, but I had a learning curve with that too. Our bed frame is far from perfect in the sanding department, but since I wanted a weathered/beaten look, it is fine for this project. I love that I’m learning so much each time we make something.
I’ll stop here. The next post will cover the finishing process, and hopefully, an assembled picture. Assembly is on the docket for this week since the mattress we purchased, after spending way too many hours researching, arrived today.